Welcome to the official blog of Durango.org. We hope to inspire you to make your Durango visit truly unique. Get ideas of places to see, things to eat and paths to explore. We would love to hear your feedback! What do you want to know about Durango? What would you like to share about your Durango experience!? firstname.lastname@example.org
Celebrating the New Year in Durango
We know where the party’s at
It’s out with the old and in with the new! Start the New Year right by spending it here with us in Durango. We’ve put together a full list of all the happenings and events around town that you won’t want to miss.
Here’s the shakedown:
First things first, check in to your hotel. The historic Strater Hotel, located right on Main Avenue, is offering New Years packages with discounted rooms, champagne and a three-course meal to be enjoyed at the Mahogany Grille. Park yourself in the middle of all the action.
Since New Year’s Eve, December 31st, falls on a Sunday, that means brunch is in order. Here are a few ideas:
El Moro Spirits and Tavern, renowned for its hangover cures, serves up serious gastronomic delights. Try the full english breakfast or pick from their full list of beneddictions.
Durango Diner, makers of the famous Durango Diner Green Chili, will be open on New Years Eve and offering their dense, delicious, hearty breakfasts. Opt for the huevos rancheros Christmas style with a side of blueberry hotcakes and worry not about those extra pounds of holiday loving.
Jean Pierre Bakery and Wine Bar will be serving up omelets, crepes, french toasts, benedicts and more. Order a mimosa made with freshly juiced oranges to start your new year with a bang.
New Rendezvous Doughnuts shop will be baking goodies all morning on New Years Eve. Open just a few short months, these artisan doughnuts are known to sell out fast, so come early and treat yourself to one last slice of decadence in 2017.
On both New Years Eve and New Years day, the action is at the mountain at Purgatory Resort. Ska Brewery will be at the beach from 12:00 PM to 3:00 PM on New Year’s Eve, hosting a tasting of their best brews.
After you’re done, Hoody’s is hosting a S’mores party, equipped with everything you’ll need, from 3:00 to 3:30 PM. Fear not the sugar rush that will follow; Kids Night Out starts at 5:30 PM and goes until 10:00 PM. Enjoy guilt-free adult time with your kids in safe hands.
Later, Hoody’s restaurant is offering a holiday buffet dinner, with seatings at 5PM, 7PM, and 9PM. Confirm your ticket here. I’ve heard rumors of a build-your-own hot chocolate bar.
If rich food isn’t up your alley, beer and margaritas will be served at Paradise Pizzeria on the mountain and both the Deli and Purgy’s are extending their hours to accommodate the new year schedule.
Once 6 PM hits, the party really starts. Apres activities include the fireworks and torchlight parade at 6:00, followed by the NYE Night Rail Jam. Enjoy a show from the beach as our ski school instructors transform the slopes into a dazzling light show.
Live music follows at Purgy’s with the Outskirts playing from 6:00 PM to 1:00 AM.
If you prefer to stay near town for New Years Eve, the party continues on throughout the day.
- The always rowdy and always awesome J-Calvin’s Funk Express & the Afrobeatniks will play at the Durango Arts Center at 9:00 PM on New Years Eve. Hosted by iAM Music, tickets are on sale now.
- Derailed Pour House is hosting a Prohibition style celebration and pulling out all the stops - champagne, balloon drops, party favors, costumes, and prizes. Enjoy live music by the Black Velvet Band and greet the new year with the happiest crowd in town. Buy your tickets today while they still last.
- If you’re looking for a musical party, the Animas City Theater is hosting a New Years Eve show featuring the funky talents of Fort Knox Five, Posh Josh and DJ Mateo. Tickets are on sale now and the show is 21+.
- The Balcony Backstage is hosting a New Year’s Eve Celebration starting at 9:00 PM with live music by the Six Dollar String Band with Dreem Machine and a dance floor full of life-loving partiers.
- Mahogany Grille will host a New Year’s Eve dinner from 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM with a special, holiday menu. Next door, the Blue Moon Ramblers will play at the Diamond Belle Saloon from 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM.
Depending on how late into the night the party takes you, I recommend some recuperation and self-love time the next day. You’ve earned it after all.
On January 1st, close out your adventure in style onboard the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad train. The annual New Year’s Brunch Train is luxury on tracks - taking travelers on a 5 hour round trip to the snowy paradise of the Cascade Wye. Enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne or sparkling cider along with your fully catered hot brunch. Eat your dessert first if you’d like, from the comfort of your cozy train car. Watch the snow fall, drink hot chocolate and be serenaded by our strolling musical talents.
Standard class tickets are available as well, for those just in it for the journey.