Southern Colorado is an up-and-coming destination for families looking for a new way to unplug and reconnect. The Alpine Loop encircles the heart of the San Juan mountains and the Continental Divide making adventure endless. Check out these 6 summer trips to take in Southern Colorado brought to you by Rock Pirates:
- The Alpine Loop: An estimated OHV drive time of 4-6 hours will take you around 63 miles of San Juan Mountains, two 12,000-foot passes and seven ghost towns. Hike, bike, camp and/or ATV the area to get a taste of Colorado’s rich past.
- Historic Ghost Towns: Some ghost towns in Southern Colorado can be accessed via car. Take a quick drive to Camp Bird Mine, Red Mountain Town, Ironton Townsite, Animas Forks and more. Make sure to leave the sites exactly as you found them to preserve history.
- Orvis Hot Springs: After a day of play, relax at Orvis Hot Springs. Soak in the water or schedule a treatment for extra pampering. Camping and lodging is also available at the hot springs for a convenient walk to the water.
- Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad: Originally constructed to haul silver and gold ore, this train provides scenic views for 45.2 miles between Durango and Silverton. Rides are good for all ages and even include seasonal kid-focused trips such as a Dinosaur Discovery Zone train.
- Old Hundred Gold Mine: Tour and experience the secret world of the gold miner. The one-hour guided tour takes you 1/3 mile into the heart of 13,000-foot Galena Mountain. No reservations are needed and panning for real silver, copper and gold is free with ticket purchase.
- Waterfall Tours: Adventure around Southern Colorado to see glorious waterfalls including Bridal Veil Falls in Telluride. This waterfall is fun for any season as the rushing water is a sight to see in the warmer months, and the frozen falls is a challenge to ice climbers in the winter.
Everyone has a trailblazer inside them. Whether the next family vacation is off-roading, boating or traveling to a new area, make sure you’re outside and embracing the inner trailblazer within.