The 4th of July is a special day marked by celebration and fun for everyone. Here in Durango, there are a variety of activities to choose from, ranging from a nice stroll down Main Ave to splashing around on the Animas River. Like all festivities in Durango, the 4th of July is not taken lightly by locals. With new events introduced each year, this holiday is ever-evolving. Here's a compilation of Durango events you need to check out if you're in town this Independence Day!
- Join the Vallecito Lake Community for a night of fireworks on July 1st starting at sundown. Parking is available anywhere around the lake that does not obstruct any roads or driveways. Parking at the Vallecito Lake Community Center will not be available.
- Enjoy an “All American” breakfast and a Fun Run/walk at Rotary Park on July 4th. Breakfast will be served from 7:30am to 11:00am and the Fun Run will begin at 9:00am with registration closing at 8:45.
- Explore nature with a Free Guided Nature Walk, put on by the San Juan Mountains Association. Tours will begin at 9:45 and run until 12:00. No registration is necessary. Meet at the ticket office at Purgatory Resort.
- Take a float down the Lower Animas River with Mild to Wild Rafting and Jeep Tours. Prizes will be given out for the best costume and kids will receive 4th of July souvenirs. Call (970) 247-4789 to reserve seats.
- Stop on by Buckley Park for the Family Fun Picnic in the Park from 12 to 5pm on July 4th. There will be food carts, readings of our nation’s founding documents and live music.
- The Stars and Stripes Parade will begin at 6:00pm and will run down Main Ave from College Drive to 12th Street.
- After the Stars and Stripes Parade, join the Street Dance at 11th Street and Main Avenue to get you groove on with live music!
- The Durango Fireworks Show will begin around 9:15pm and can be viewed from any location facing west with a good view of the sky.
Don't miss the 4th of July in Durango, for family-friendly fun & entertainment!