Besides the gorgeous fall colors our Aspen trees flaunt, Durango is full of reasons to visit us this fall. You can print this off and use it as your adventure itinerary for the final days before the snow flies.
1. Take a unique train ride this fall with the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
Ride the pumpkin train with your kids or friends! Imagine your day starting with a beautiful, scenic ride aboard the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (people travel from all over the world to ride this train). The train’s destination is a pumpkin patch where the kids get to hunt for the perfect jack-o-lantern-pumpkin! But wait, there’s more… Waiting for you at the pumpkin patch is the gang from Peanuts! Charlie Brown, Lucy, and Snoopy will be available for some pumpkin picking advice and photo-ops! This is only scratching the surface of all the excitement you will find at the pumpkin patch! Get more details here.
- Durango Brew Train: Ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Train and sample craft brews, while listening to a local band. The ride includes a stop at the Cascade Canyon Wye, deep in the heart of the San Juan Mountains. Food will be served and there will still be plenty of time to sample brews and explore the area. How can a Fall day get much better than that?
2. Autumn Arts Festival: September 16 & 17
The largest outdoors fine art and craft festival in Southwest Colorado showcases over 90 artists from the region. Live local musicians will perform and local artisan food purveyors and microbreweries will serve delicious treats.
3. Durango Cowboy Poetry Gathering: October 5 - 8
Horses. Cowboys. Poetry. What more could a lady ask for? All three come together during these four days on Durango's very own historic Main Avenue. This is an exciting event that brings poets and musicians from all over the country to perform classic and contemporary poems and songs. The gathering is designed to perpetuate the traditions of working ranch people in the West.
4. Oktoberfest: October 7
Durango hosts its own version of the famous German festival, offering traditional Deutsch-style food and local craft beer. The Bavarian event offers plenty of fun for all the family, with the Brewers Brat Eating Contest being a people’s favorite.
5. Watch the Colors Change: Mid-September (just starting!) - October 16 (peak color is predicted for October 8-16)
If you're visiting during the fall you won't be able to help but notice the changing colors! Peak colors are predicted to show October 8-16, but you are sure to see changing leaves before then, especially starting the third week of September. You can take a drive out to Vallecito Lake or tour the San Juan Skyway to really experience the beauty of SW Colorado in the fall! The San Juan Skyway is one of Colorado's scenic byways and offers breathtaking views around every bend. The entire loop is 236 miles so be prepared for a full day or possibly part of the loop (like the Million Dollar Highway section).
Looking for more to do while you're here? Here's the 5 Best Trails for Views of Durango!
See our lodging specials here.